Trying to get closer to something that can not be finished.
The starting point
Since beginning of my program, I have been able to gain insight into many different fields of design. Throughout that time design and programming have always been my favorite areas, to varying degrees. I’ve created different portfolios that not only show my projects, but also reflect me as a person.
First time is the hardest
The over ambitious one
This portfolio is by far the one I learned the most from. My wish at the time was to become a creative developer, therefore my goal was to express that through the design and style. I utilized monospace type, interactions, hover effects and case studies. I used a routing library to achieve a website without reloads, and developed a new menu structure. I believe the biggest problem with this portfolio was the limited responsiveness, in addition to overly lengthy case studies. Everything was just too confusing and focused more on achieving a certain look, than actually being usable.
Cleaning things up
In an attempt to make my portfolio easier accessible I replaced the crazy lines with preview images of the respective projects. The layout of the case studies was also cleaned up and simplified. Everything felt so much smoother and less confusing. That also benefited the mobile site as it was finally navigateable. When starting this redesign I used gulp for the first time, which made it so much easier to minify and optimize my site for production.
Making things simple again
Feeling fed up with the overly complicated design of my last portfolio, I decided to step backward and redo my portfolio in a much simpler way. I was beginning to realize that I had more interest in being a designer rather than a developer, so I wanted my portfolio to reflect that as well. The idea was to have a developer undertone by using a monospace font for the headlines and combine that with a sans serif font and a lot of whitespace. Also making it simpler allowed me to focus on the details like proper responsiveness and typesetting.
What I learned